Sunday, September 14, 2008

A Happy Quilt

The floral fabrics in this quilt nearly stopped me in my tracks when I saw them at the quilt store in Exeter. I just love them. And, practically as soon as I got home, I started another quilt, although a new project (when so many others are unfinished) was the last thing I needed.

I didn't have a recipient in mind when I started the quilt (a first for me), but as I was working on it, it hit me like a ton of bricks. This one is going to one of my favorite people in the whole world and I am so excited to be hand delivering it on a trip to Santa Rosa this weekend. She's had a rough year and I hope this cheerful, happy, homemade quilt will be a nice comfort to her. Personally, I can't look at the fabrics without feeling a little bit of joy sneak out.

Fave-o-rite...

Some of the details of the fabrics. Yum.

The binding on this one (the edge of the quilt) was a new technique for me. My other quilts have been hand-stitched, but with the new sewing machine, I had the ability to machine sew this one. It went by very quickly, but I will admit I still need some practice.

For the back of this quilt, I used a fairly plain fabric. I think it needed something simple to help balance on the color and florals on the quilt top.

I love how it turned out and hope my aunt will, too.

P.S. Mia apparently liked this one, too. When I was working on it, she continually called it her quilt and cried when I put it away. I'm hoping she doesn't have a meltdown when we give it away for good!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...