Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Fun with Spray Paint

I've never spray painted before, but I have a long(ish) list of things I wanted to spray paint. I asked for my husband to teach me how, but he has been super busy. After talking with a friend, I decided to just go for it. What's the worst that could happen?

I started with the jar lids for my rainbow of buttons. They were a bunch of mismatched jam, baby food, and store-bought jars. I hoped a coat (or three!) of white spray paint would unite them. And it did!
 Some of the baby food expiration dates bled through every layer of paint. This is like 5 layers before I gave up! Luckily I had enough blank lids for the colors of the rainbow and these stamped ones can be used for something else. In person, it's actually pretty light and only noticeable up close.

And this cabinet. I bought this at Mervyn's sometime in the 1990's. I think it was about $25. It's cheap wood, but actually pretty sturdy and has lasted well over the years. We've used it for a bunch of different rooms for different purposes. In the new house, I think I'd like to use it as bathroom storage. Since our cabinets are a dark walnut, I wanted a white cabinet in there. And this one was showing some age, so it didn't seem like it would be offended with a fresh coat of paint.

I also have a bunch of other furniture similar to this - wood veneer-type material. I figured this little cabinet would be a good "trial run" to see how the spray paint turned out before committing to larger, more sentimental furniture.

I started by lightly sanding the "wood" to rough it up. Then I went to town. I did very light coats because I wasn't sure how heavy I could go before it would drip. It ended up being 4 light coats, but since it's a small cabinet it went very quickly and dried quickly in between.
Here's the result! 

Because I couldn't find any tape, I didn't bother. Again, this is a cheap-o little cabinet. It actually worked out quite nicely... it's a soft feathered look inside the drawer and cabinet doors. 


The inside remains the original wood color. And unless someone goes snooping in my bathroom, no one will ever know.   ; )

I also sprayed some keys (some new, some old) for another project I have in mind. Spray painting keys is the way to go... so much faster than painting them with a brush like I did for my framed keys project
More on the keys coming soon (I hope!). 

1 comment:

Heather said...

The jar lids look awesome! Need to try that! (wonder if some nail polish remover on the grocery stamps would remove it before painting?_ Good luck with the move!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...