I started with the jar lids for my rainbow of buttons. They were a bunch of mismatched jam, baby food, and store-bought jars. I hoped a coat (or three!) of white spray paint would unite them. And it did!
And this cabinet. I bought this at Mervyn's sometime in the 1990's. I think it was about $25. It's cheap wood, but actually pretty sturdy and has lasted well over the years. We've used it for a bunch of different rooms for different purposes. In the new house, I think I'd like to use it as bathroom storage. Since our cabinets are a dark walnut, I wanted a white cabinet in there. And this one was showing some age, so it didn't seem like it would be offended with a fresh coat of paint.
I also have a bunch of other furniture similar to this - wood veneer-type material. I figured this little cabinet would be a good "trial run" to see how the spray paint turned out before committing to larger, more sentimental furniture.
I started by lightly sanding the "wood" to rough it up. Then I went to town. I did very light coats because I wasn't sure how heavy I could go before it would drip. It ended up being 4 light coats, but since it's a small cabinet it went very quickly and dried quickly in between.
Here's the result!
Because I couldn't find any tape, I didn't bother. Again, this is a cheap-o little cabinet. It actually worked out quite nicely... it's a soft feathered look inside the drawer and cabinet doors.
The inside remains the original wood color. And unless someone goes snooping in my bathroom, no one will ever know. ; )
I also sprayed some keys (some new, some old) for another project I have in mind. Spray painting keys is the way to go... so much faster than painting them with a brush like I did for my framed keys project.
More on the keys coming soon (I hope!).