Thursday, July 12, 2012

What age is the best to start quilting?

One of the things on my Summer to-do list is to teach Mia how to make a quilt. She's almost 6 1/2 years old. Too young? Too old? I'm not sure, but I felt she was ready so today we jumped in during her brother's naptime.

She was very excited about making a rainbow quilt and I happened to have a charm pack (pre-cut 5" squares of fabric) in a rainbow of colors. I let her lay the squares out and decide what order they were in. My only "help" was when we realized the charm pack only came with one purple and a rainbow quilt would certainly need more than that! I let her dig in my fabric (gulp.....) and choose some additional purples to add. And, since I wasn't in the mood to go to the ER today, I did the rotary cutting for her. 

She did her own designing, pinning, and ironing, although she was a little nervous about using the iron.

I had her sit on my lap as we began sewing the squares together. She did everything except the pedal, but I'll probably let her try that once she gets the hang of the rest of the moving parts. She did very well lining up the fabric to be sewn together and remembering to keep the right sides together (also known as "are the looking at each other?"). 

There's something pretty darn adorable about seeing those little hands at my sewing machine. 
Be still my heart! Maybe a quilter is born? We shall see... 

She sewed the first five squares together to complete the top row of her quilt. We decided to make a doll-sized quilt - not too big of a commitment, but something she will love to use. 

I'm sure I will take more pictures of the next steps. Proud mama!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...