Wednesday, October 12, 2011

I *AM* a Farmer's Wife

Have you heard all the excitement about this book? I have been amazed at how many of my favorite bloggers have been participating and how lovely the blocks are with current fabrics. Today I jumped in. I am so inspired by the letters in the book (link here) and the blocks are just beautiful. And, being that we are the proud owners of some Walnut trees, I suppose I AM actually a farmer's wife - why not make the quilt?
This is Block # 1 - Attic Windows. I am using mostly blue & aqua colors - lots of scraps and a few new favorites, too.

The book is written around letters from women in the 1920's, answering the question "Do You Want Your Daughter to Marry a Farmer?" Just after prohibition and women earning the right to vote, the essays from farmer's wives are like a time capsule, but also very current somehow. Mothers are mothers, no matter the era, I suppose. The letters are fascinating and the blocks they inspired are lovely. I've never made a sampler quilt, but I love the scrappy and colorful look of them.

I hope to sew lots of these blocks in the upcoming days and weeks, in between reading the letters - and I'll post as I go. If you'd like to see what the fuss is all about, check out the Farmer's Wife Quilt-a-Long on Flickr - there are some beautiful quilts being inspired by this book.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...